History of Hinterstoder
Since 1918 Hinterstoder belongs to the federal state of Upper Austria. After the annexation of Austria to the German Reich on March 13, 1938, the place belonged to the "Gau Oberdonau". After 1945, the restoration of Upper Austria.Urkundlich the name "Stoder" appears for the first time in a Kremsmünsterer letter to 1240 and is translated from the Slavic with "cold" or "stony ground". As Tassilo III. In 777 the cathedral was built on the Krems, the valley was inhabited by the Slavs. At the Traun ended the German-speaking area, beyond Slovenia began. The Münster on the Krems should, as is well known, primarily initiate the conversion of the Alpine Slavs.
The valley basin of Windischgarsten together with the wooded slopes and the surrounding mountains were already in the 11th century in possession of the donated by Emperor Heinrich II in 1007 Bishopric of Bamberg. As a result, on the grounds of this large-scale donation area at the instigation of this diocese of the pin and the rule Spital am Pyhrn. In the first place - originally hospital - it was to serve pilgrims who went to the Eternal City, to Rome, or to Aquileia, from where they - especially the Crusaders - embarked on the arduous journey to the Holy Land. To this dominion belonged - most recently as a collegiate community secular canons under a provost - the Stodertal until the dissolution in 1807th That part left of the Steyr river of today's municipality belonged to the princely rule Klaus, first reported in 1192, which in turn incorporated the rule Spital am Pyhrn was. In the time of Joseph II, the beginnings of a development fall into a commonwealth. Used by the Spital am Pyhrn monastery in 1774, Adam Langeder worked as the first teacher in Hinterstoder. He was previously a pencil cutter in Spital am Pyhrn. In 1778, the emergency school was elevated to a parish school.
In 1783, when Georg Hammer pastor and Matthäus Lichtenauer were cooperators of Vorderstoder, the Collegialstift Spital am Pyhrn, whose provost was Josef Grundtner at that time, decided to build an independent parish in the "inner Stoder". This decision was - as the remaining copy of the deed of construction expressly indicates - not taken of its own accord, but on impulse Emperor Josef II. Various foundations were used for this, in particular the "Gütl am Kleinbruderhof" (now the vicarage) was purchased by the Sift Spital am Pyhrn for the future pastor and his earnings were assigned to him. In 1783 the construction of the church, a late baroque hall church with a tower cap, was begun and completed in 2 years. There were 18 masons, 1 Malterrührer and 17 carpenters worked. The benediction took place on the "16th autumn moons of the year 1787" on Sunday after the increase of the cross, therefore also called "Holy Cross Church".
Through a delegation of the Bishop of Linz, the solemn blessing was given by Provost Josef Grundtner of Spital am Pyhrn. The ecclesiastical furnishings were mainly provided by the Spital am Pyhrn. By decree of October 20, 1787, the bishop of Linz, Count Herberstein, appointed the cooperator of Vorderstoder, Matthäus Lichtenauer, pastor of Innerstoder (Hinterstoder), who later became the last provost of Spital am Pyhrn. From that day Hinterstoder had his own pastor and was pastorally independent and independent. In 1787, the new school building (next to the church) was built.
From the time of the Napoleonic wars it is reported that Pastor Franz Xaver Gesser (1807 - 1810), by the presence of enemy troops, by clever behavior and good hospitality of the officers, warded off much evil from the community and cheered the inhabitants about their "wretched arduous victims" and thereby caused good order. Pastor Gesser, who came from Biberach in Swabia, spoke French and was very educated, since he had studied Canon Law, Church History and Ancient Studies in Vienna and Graz. Likewise, "Saxony", which was in Hinterstoder in the quarter, reported that demanded from the population great sacrifices, plundered and thus increased the prevailing plight even more.
On November 6, 1817, the municipalities of Hinterstoder and Vorderstoder were granted the right to hold a horn-cattle market every year on October 10 in Hinterstoder. This is the oldest surviving parchment document, personally signed by Emperor Franz I. It was not until the middle of the 19th century, when the landlords came to an end and the free local church "Innerstoder" developed within the confines of the Josefinese cadastral community, that a life of its own developed, which ushered in the upward trend.
Dominating the second half of the 19th century was forestry and hunting. Großgrundbesitz - Religionsfonds, Dukes of Württemberg and others In 1874 Hinterstoder received a post office, in 1894 a telegraph connection with Windischgarsten and in 1909 a telephone connection. 1879 was the founding of the music club Hinterstoder, which is still active today as a traditional music band Hinterstoder. In 1890, tourism began (first note on alienations). In 1897 the community Hinterstoder received a gendarmerie post.
At the turn of the century, the step-by-step expansion of the Stodertal-Straße from the Pyhrnpaß-Straße in Steyr-Bruck began. The first doctor who practiced his practice in Hinterstoder was Drs. Adolf Hauser 1897. Previously had the medical supervisor in Vorderstoder their headquarters. In 1905 they founded the volunteer fire department Hinterstoder. In 1906, the last section of the Pyhrn Railway was completed and opened the rail traffic. The station outside of the municipality was originally called Dirnbach-Stoder and was later renamed to Hinterstoder on request. In 1906 they founded an association to beautify the place. Skiing started in 1910. Apart from only a few skiers, this was useful until then for the local hunters and foresters. The first price skiing from the Schränkenzieher Alm to the parish hall took place on December 10, 1912. With the fundamental redesign of the Stodertal road, the valley has been tapped properly. The construction of the postal service line Hinterstoder Ort - Hinterstoder station falls into the year 1924. The electrification began with the construction of a small electric power plant on Plaisbach on a cooperative basis in the years after the First World War. Only with the construction of a 25 KV connection line to the overland network of the company Hofmann, the power supply was ensured.
World War II brought Hinterstoder a flood of relocated and bombed out. The population increased more than twice. There was great need. The US High Commissioner for Austria, General Clark, chose Hinterstoder as his holiday home. Also, the Allied Commander-in-Chief and later US President General Eisenhower was here several times. General Clark made the groundbreaking ceremony in 1950 for the construction of the four-grade elementary school and arranged for a donation from Cardinal Spellmann, which made it possible to buy new church bells. In 1957, the construction of the local water line, 1964, the water supply and sewage system construction on the Hutterer soils. The construction of a cableway in 1959 (double chairlift) in two sections to the Hoessgebiet contributed very much to the creation of a second tourist season (winter).
In 1967, the community was given the right to run a municipal coat of arms "Over three silver tips rising from the base of the sign, the middle of which is higher than the other two, in blue a golden fallen crescent, covered with a golden cross." With the same decision, the municipality colors "yellow-blue" were approved. In 1969, the Bärenalm ski area was opened up. In 1986, the 1st Ski World Cup race, a men's slalom, took place in Hinterstoder. Thus, the tourism took a further upswing. In 1993, the sewage treatment plant in Poppenberg, the first cavern sewage treatment plant in Central Europe, was put into operation. To the sewer network, the houses in the village center and in the vicinity of the village and the ski resort Höß are connected. The development of the peripheral areas will be further developed in the following years. In 1994, the village joined the action "village renewal" of the country Upper Austria and was village renewal community. As a result, structural alterations were made to the transit, the design of the street and the facades of the houses. In 1998, Hinterstoder was also included in the European village renewal and in 2000 was awarded a "European Village Renewal Award". As part of the renovation of the office building in 1998, the exhibition house "ALPINEUM" was grown and opened at the beginning of the national exhibition in 1998 "Land of Hammers - Heimat Eisenwurzen". The state exhibition brought 18,000 visitors to the Alpineum as well as the theme trail "Flötzersteig" and was a great success. In 2000, the "ALPINEUM" entered the final round of the "European Museum Prize" and achieved great success. Also in 1998, in cooperation with Umweltberatung Kirchdorf, the pilot project "ÖKO-Audit" was launched, with which the community commits itself to environmentally conscious action in all areas of public service. Environmental guidelines have been developed that will be implemented in the coming years.