- Pyhrn-Priel communities
- All year
- Hotels / Accommodation
- Pyhrn-Priel Card
The St. Leonhard church is located on the outskirts of Spital am Pyhrn. The overall picture of the original Gothic St. Leonhard's Church is a mixed of four styles.
The history of this church leads us into the mysteries of ancient times. According to tradition, is on the rocks, which now forms the foundation for the front of the nave and the chancel of the upper church, have once been a pagan sacrificial site. Beginning of the 15th Century we built in honor of the Virgin Mary and St Leonard, the upper church. The inauguration took place on 27 September 1439 under Bishop Friedrich von Aufseß instead. In 1431 those Canons hospital had chosen for his retirement home. Under his reign many also the purchase of the parish Windischgarsten and the expansion and Gotisierung the pin. Friedrich von Aufseß died in 1440th His grave stone is on display in the lower church hall, to the left of the rock altar since the restoration of the St. Leonard's Church (1973-75). Building activities with the construction of the lower church was continued at the foot of the rock on the west side. That part was published on 22 August 1462 by Sigismund consecrated Auxiliary Bishop of Passau (Bishop of Salona) in honor of the crucified Saviour. In cross altar are several valuable statues, mainly from the 18th Century. The representations of Christ, the Virgin Mary, of John and Mary Magdalene comes to Lambach by sculptor Franz Xaver leithner. Also the 5 statues on simulated Olives come from the sculptor leithner. The bell in the tower is as old as the foundation of the Church, it was founded in 1440 by a choir master to the hospital. Lead to the upper church 2 spiral staircases, with the stairs on the south side is built around up some earlier than those on the north side of the church. The upper church has three altars. At the high altar there is a painting by the Kremser-Schmidt in 1774, showing Saint Leonard. Left and right of the image each a statue of Saint Sebastian and Saint Roch is seen. The window in the background still has the original Gothic tracery, the pointed Gothic arches are no longer available. The northern side altar dedicated to Saint Barbara, the altar in the south shows a picture of St. Catherine, come back both paintings by Kremser-Schmidt. The organ was the schoolmaster to Windischgarsten, organ builder later to the hospital on Valentine Phyrn Hochleithner. It is known that in addition to the choir to have lived a hermit who may have been also sacristan and organist. Tower and roof are built new in 1774. The overall picture of the original Gothic St. Leonhard's Church is a mixed of four styles. The Gothic in construction and in the remarkable frescoes, Renaissance in the chair cheeks, the Baroque in the images of the Kremser-Schmidt and the Rococo in the picture frame. But not only the rich craftsmanship that the two-storey church building, but also above all the silence is that anyone who has visited the church once under its spell. The St. Leonard's Church is also the church and cemetery is surrounded by it.
The church is closed except for funerals.
Church tours in the St. Leonhard Church only by arrangement with the parish office for a voluntary donation!
660 mAccessibility / arrival
Drive from Windischgarsten coming through the village Spital am Pyhrn. At the southern end of Spital am Pyhrn is located on the main road, the cemetery church of St. Leonhard.
For the guides in the Church, Mr. Egger would be on voluntary donations!
Please get in touch for more information.
Stiftsplatz 2, 4582 Spital am Pyhrn
Stiftsplatz 1, 4582 Spital am Pyhrn
Stiftsplatz 1, 4582 Spital am Pyhrn